Sunday, June 27, 2021

Ambrotype and tintype

Photographer Arold van der Aa 
Haarsteeg, The Netherlands










The invention of wet collodion photography processes in the 1850s allowed the development of two new kinds of photographs ambrotypes and tintypes. These new formats shared many characteristics with the earlier daguerreotypes but were quicker and cheaper to produce. Primarily used for portraiture, each photo is a unique camera-exposed image and was available in several standard-sizes. An ambrotype is comprised of an underexposed glass negative placed against a dark background. The dark backing material creates a positive image.
"I've always been fascinated by black and white photography... In my quest to find my passion for photography, I came across the wet plate collodion process that was discovered in 1851. Analogue photography on glass or metal plates... Back to craftsmanship and mastery. Read more on my site (In Dutch)..." Arold van der Aa

No comments: